Football Ultras

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football Ultras is a forum to discuss anything related to Football.

+2
shinnawy
Zein
6 posters

Serie A Preview: Napoli - Milan

Zein
    Zein

Serie A Preview: Napoli - Milan Empty Serie A Preview: Napoli - Milan

Post by Zein Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:05 am

Kick-Off: Sunday, March 22, 20:30 CET. Stadio San Paolo

Faltering In Form

In all of 2008, Napoli lost just twice at the Stadio San Paolo in Serie A competition. In six home matches so far in 2009, Napoli have compiled a record of one victory, two draws and three losses!

In fact, the Neapolitans last victory at all was in the opening match of 2009 after the winter break, a 1-0 win over Catania on January 11. Since that game, Napoli have played on ten occasions, losing seven times and drawing thrice.

Despite finishing in eighth place last season in their return to the Serie A, Napoli were one of the most feared sides in the domestic league. They were the type of side who would probably not let you leave their ground with any points, and though their away form was quite bad― twelve losses from nineteen matches― they were still greeted with chagrin by opponents whenever they came to town.

Of course, this has now changed. Partially due to lower goal scoring from the strikers― midfielder Marek Hamsik has nine goals to lead the club, while striker Ezequiel Lavezzi has just seven this season― teams no longer fear Napoli’s presence.

Realistically, it could be said that Napoli took a similar path to the one of Catania when they were promoted in 2006. Catania played some fantastic football and surprised nearly everyone with the way they were able to unlock Serie A defenses with an attractive brand of football. Last season, however, the shock value of Catania’s play wore off, and the top clubs restored order to the top flight, as Catania finished just a single point above the relegation zone.

In any event, Napoli can no longer rely on the sneak attack. Clubs have found out that the key to stopping Napoli is by locking down Lavezzi. When he is given opportunity to run at the defence, he can be devastatingly decisive in a match; and when he is marked tightly, it throws off the entire flow of Napoli’s attack.

Spring Rejuvenation

In Milan’s 5-1 away win over Siena last weekend, striker Filippo Inzaghi sent a clear message that he is not past it yet. For the last few years, people have wondered why Milan even kept him around at all. But, like any great striker, he just kept on coming, and his efforts have shown that he still belongs on the grand stage of top level football in the Serie A.

Last spring, he stepped in because of injuries, scoring plenty of goals to keep Milan in the battle for fourth place and a UEFA Champions League spot, which was ultimately unsuccessful.

Just as he did in 2008, Inzaghi is putting the ball into the net as fast as he can. With injuries to Milan’s attacking midfielders such as Kaka, Ronaldinho and Clarence Seedorf, Milan have reverted back to a two striker front line with a single attacking midfielder behind them, having used a two midfielder and one striker system for quite a while.

Manager Carlo Ancelotti decided to once again put his faith in Filippo Inzaghi to work wonders and keep Milan in third place. His faith has definitely been repaid. In the last two matches, Inzaghi has scored five goals, two in the 5-1 victory over Siena last weekend and a hat-trick against Atalanta the weekend before in a 3-0 win.

Those two wins have given Milan a bit of breathing room in the table, as Genoa, Fiorentina and Roma were right on their heels beforehand. Six points now separate fourth place Genoa from Milan.

FORM GUIDE

Napoli

14/02 (Serie A): Napoli 1-1 Bologna

22/02 (Serie A): Napoli 0-1 Genoa

28/02 (Serie A): Juventus 1-0 Napoli

08/03 (Serie A): Napoli 0-2 Lazio

15/03 (Serie A): Reggina 1-1 Napoli

Milan

22/02 (Serie A): Milan 1-0 Cagliari

26/02 (UEFA Cup): Milan 2-2 Werder Bremen

01/03 (Serie A): Sampdoria 2-1 Milan

08/03 (Serie A): Milan 3-0 Atalanta

15/03 (Serie A): Siena 1-5 Milan

TEAM NEWS

Napoli

The home side has a long injury list at this point. Gennaro Iezzo, Christian Maggio, Luigi Vitale, Walter Gargano and Leandro Rinaudo will all be left in the stands for this match.

Salvatore Aronica has been given a suspension and will miss out as well. Manuele Blasi, Paolo Cannavaro, Matteo Contini and Michele Pazienza are all facing suspension if they get cautioned.

Possible Formation (3-5-2): Navarro; Santacroce, Cannavaro, Contini; Montervino, Pazienza, Blasi, Hamsik, Datolo; Zalayeta, Lavezzi

Milan

Alessandro Nesta, Kakha Kaladze, Christian Abbiati and Gennaro Gattuso are out for the season, and Marco Borriello is doubtful to play the rest of the way. Kaka re-injured his foot in a substitute appearance last Sunday and there is no telling when he will be able to play again. Daniele Bonera is not entirely fit and could miss out as well.

Massimo Ambrosini is suspended for this match, having received too many yellow cards. Marek Jankulovski faces a one-match suspension if he is cautioned.

Possible Formation (4-3-1-2): Dida; Zambrotta, Favalli, Maldini, Jankulovski; Beckham, Pirlo, Flamini; Seedorf; Pato, Inzaghi

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Napoli

The subject of transfer rumours within the peninsula on a regular basis, Marek Hamsik has had a good season in the midst of his side struggling. His shooting ability will force Milan’s defence to keep an eye on him in addition to Ezequiel Lavezzi, who, despite his own struggles this term, can give Milan’s back line trouble with his tireless running.

Milan

Alexandre Pato and Filippo Inzaghi have played very well in tandem the past two matches, with seven goals between them. Inzaghi has scored five of those, and is clearly picking up right where he left off last spring, having had a similar purple patch after the winter break last season.

PREDICTION

Milan are hot at the moment, riding the goals of Filippo Inzaghi to victory two weeks in a row. Napoli have not won in more than two months, and depending on the results for sides immediately below them in the table, could slip several places in the standings.Napoli really need to win just to restore some pride and raise their spirits, but they won’t get it against Milan this Sunday.

Napoli 1-2 Milan.
    shinnawy
    shinnawy

Serie A Preview: Napoli - Milan Empty Re: Serie A Preview: Napoli - Milan

Post by shinnawy Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:08 am

who cares about milan.....=P

when pippo is in form milan are unsoppable, so i ll go for a milan win
    Zein
    Zein

Post by Zein Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:12 am

I hope so Smile. Pippo scored 5 goals in the last 2 matches.
    Shiko
    Shiko

Post by Shiko Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:17 am

after donadoni arrival and the new team sprit vs reggina
    i predict:2-2 draw
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:38 am

last season they got u out of CL , let's see what can they do this time
    a hell of a match , one of the most difficult fixtures in the whole season is ur visit to the San Paolo
    yes Napoli r on a very shitty form but this is the game they need 2 get out of this dark road
    Milan r doin well after their UEFA Cup exit Very Happy mainly thanx to super Pippo but i'll go for a 2-0 win for Napoli
    Srour
    Srour

Post by Srour Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:43 am

doubt Donadoni can make such an early impact for Napoli, i doubt Napoli can come up with a win. but i wont rule out a draw.
    my prediction is a 2-1 victory for Milan
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:47 am

he doesnt need 2 make huge changes , Napoli have a very strong squad with special players like Hamsik , Lazevvi and Maggio , he just needs 2 focus on the mental n psychological side of the team , they only need motivation
    Srour
    Srour

Post by Srour Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:50 am

tbh i was very disappointed when they fired Edy Reja, i had lots of respect for that man. Donadoni lack the mentality but is a charismatic person. i'm just curious to know how much he earns with Napoli
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:54 am

Romanista wrote:tbh i was very disappointed when they fired Edy Reja, i had lots of respect for that man. Donadoni lack the mentality but is a charismatic person. i'm just curious to know how much he earns with Napoli

yea Edy Reja was a great coach but it comes 2 a certain point when u cant blame luck so it's easier 2 blame the coach 4 the negative results
    shinnawy
    shinnawy

Post by shinnawy Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:22 pm

aree wih yasser, i dnt think donadoni will amke an early impact with napoli esp. against milan
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:44 pm

shinnawy wrote:aree wih yasser, i dnt think donadoni will amke an early impact with napoli esp. against milan

i dont agree
    dont 4get that Donadoni is an ex Milanista n would like 2 give a great impression especially that Carleto Ancelotti's bench aint safe
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:32 pm

Donadoni builds his new Napoli
    Saturday 21 March, 2009

Roberto Donadoni is confident he can “build something wonderful” at new club Napoli as he seeks his first win against Milan.

The Coach took charge last week after Edy Reja’s dismissal and made his debut in a 1-1 draw away to Reggina.

“With great directors like [Pierpaolo] Marino, we can come together and build something wonderful for the future,” he told Il Giornale newspaper.

“In recent years the club has made an incredible climb back up to Serie A and can achieve a lot more. The people must be grateful to this side for all it has done up until now.”

At one stage this season Napoli were in the top spots, but a poor run of form saw them plummet down to 11th place.

Now Donadoni makes his San Paolo debut against his former club Milan and is settling in to his first job since leaving the Italy bench.

“It was not an easy start for me, but after a few days I got the feeling I had never stopped coaching.

“In professional terms my time at the Azzurri was an important and gratifying adventure. They were two very intense years, but all that counts now is Napoli and diving back into work with real enthusiasm.”
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:13 pm

i'd like 2 hear what Zein has 2 say about Hamsik's goal that was canceled for an offside that wasnt there at all
    it's a goal 100% n the refree canceled it
    someone should stop complainin about refreein errors cause no one do it better than Milan
    shinnawy
    shinnawy

Post by shinnawy Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:20 pm

i saw it, 100% goal
    Zein
    Zein

Post by Zein Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:25 pm

Mahdiano wrote:i'd like 2 hear what Zein has 2 say about Hamsik's goal that was canceled for an offside that wasnt there at all
    someone should stop complainin about refreein errors cause no one do it better than Milan
    okay 100% goal but We also had a penalty any way match ended 0-0 But Napoli may have deserved more.
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Zein wrote:
    Mahdiano wrote:i'd like 2 hear what Zein has 2 say about Hamsik's goal that was canceled for an offside that wasnt there at all
    okay 100% goal but We also had a penalty any way match ended 0-0 But Napoli may have deserved more.

it was no penalty Santacroce touched the ball outside the box
    plus it wasnt intentional n he didnt gain anything from it

Napoli were very unlucky especially Zalayeta whom i dunno why Donadoni insisted on keepin him till the final minutes while it was clear that he wasnt havin a good day , Denis should have been brought in

Manini had a great hame n gave Zambrotta hard time , Blasi was also great n played with high passion

anyway good 2 see Milan drop 2 points now Genoa is just 2 points behind cheers
    Zein
    Zein

Post by Zein Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:43 pm

Mahdiano wrote:
    Zein wrote:

Napoli were very unlucky especially Zalayeta whom i dunno why Donadoni insisted on keepin him till the final minutes while it was clear that he wasnt havin a good day , Denis should have been brought in

Manini had a great hame n gave Zambrotta hard time , Blasi was also great n played with high passion

Nope Genoa is 4 points behind us Smile As for Santacroce's ball it touched his hand and his hand was inside the penalty area...didn't gain anything from it?! m8 if the ball had passed Inzaghi would have been one on one with the keeper Smile.
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:54 pm

Zein wrote:
    Mahdiano wrote:
    Zein wrote:

Nope Genoa is 4 points behind us Smile As for Santacroce's ball it touched his hand and his hand was inside the penalty area...didn't gain anything from it?! m8 if the ball had passed Inzaghi would have been one on one with the keeper Smile.

u gotta be dreamin or something it was santacroce all alone in the box an inzaghi behind him the ball went 2 his hand , he didnt move his hand 2wards it
    dont be biased
    karim ossama
    karim ossama

Post by karim ossama Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:27 pm

AM SORRY MAHDY BUT THERE IS A WORD THAT AM GOIN TO TELL AMR IN ARABIC HEEEH LEL MILAN HAHAHAAA LOOOOL
    karim ossama
    karim ossama

Post by karim ossama Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:30 pm

AMR ITS ALWAYS THE REFREES FAULT U NEVER LOSE CUZ U DESERVED TO LOSE U JUST LOSE BECUZ OF THE REFREES MISTAKES :s:s
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:45 pm

karim ossama wrote:AMR ITS ALWAYS THE REFREES FAULT U NEVER LOSE CUZ U DESERVED TO LOSE U JUST LOSE BECUZ OF THE REFREES MISTAKES :s:s

i just wonder what's there excuse goin to be this time
    as the refree's fault was against Napoli not Milan
    Hamsik's goal was correct 100%
    karim ossama
    karim ossama

Post by karim ossama Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:48 pm

MAHDY DONT FORGET THAT AMR IS A MILAN SUPPORTER HE WONT CHANGE :p HAHA LOL
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:51 pm

karim ossama wrote:MAHDY DONT FORGET THAT AMR IS A MILAN SUPPORTER HE WONT CHANGE :p HAHA LOL

that's a fact

Karim plz write in small letters , turn off the caps lock button
    Zein
    Zein

Post by Zein Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:55 pm

karim ossama wrote:AMR ITS ALWAYS THE REFREES FAULT U NEVER LOSE CUZ U DESERVED TO LOSE U JUST LOSE BECUZ OF THE REFREES MISTAKES :s:s
    First of all we didn't lose Smile. 2nd I didn't say Milan deserved to lose or not Smile But I think if you'd better read my posts again... you will find that I've said that Napoli deserved more Smile.
    And finally in my opinion, Referees have made lots of mistakes against us which made us drop many points.
    Zein
    Zein

Post by Zein Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:58 pm

karim ossama wrote:MAHDY DONT FORGET THAT AMR IS A MILAN SUPPORTER HE WONT CHANGE :p HAHA LOL
    Im proud to be a Milan fan m8. Im also proud that whenever we play against you, We always kick ur ass easily Razz.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:54 pm