Football Ultras

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football Ultras is a forum to discuss anything related to Football.

5 posters

Serie A Preview: Milan - Lecce

Zein
    Zein

Serie A Preview: Milan - Lecce Empty Serie A Preview: Milan - Lecce

Post by Zein Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:29 pm

While this match is not the pick of the litter this weekend, it could be a bit of a dogfight with both clubs needing points in the lead up to the end of the season.

3 Apr 2009 15:00:48

Repeat Of Last Season?

Just as it was towards the end of last season, Milan’s only objective right now is to secure UEFA Champions League qualification, but via third place this time around instead of fourth like last season.

With Milan’s closest challengers, Genoa, only four points behind in the Serie A table, they cannot afford to follow their usual trend of playing down to the level of their opponents, in this case Lecce.

Surely, Milan can’t lose focus and drop points in the final run up of the season and fall out of the top four, can they? Well, they still leave points on the table from matches they should win, but they have improved recently despite the disappointing scoreless draw versus Napoli last time out on March 22.

The main part of this resurgence has to be the play of Filippo Inzaghi. Last season, he was amazingly consistent in scoring goals in the final months of the season. If you go by the two matches played before the scoreless draw against Napoli, then it appears as though Inzaghi is doing it again. A hat-trick at home versus Atalanta was followed seven days later by a double in the 5-1 thrashing of Siena.

Mission Impossible?

For nineteenth-placed Lecce, they know what must be done ― go out and try to get points from matches they will probably lose. Of course, that is easier said than done, but they have no other choice.

While their offence has not been very good, their defence has been atrocious. Along with bottom-side Reggina, they have conceded the most goals of any team in the league, with the total currently at 48 and sure to grow higher. In seven matches since their last victory on February 1, a 2-1 away win over Siena, Lecce have allowed in sixteen goals while scoring just four.

In order to get the points total needed to stay up in Serie A for another season they probably need to win a match at some point, as single points from draws may not be enough.

Following the international break, striker Jose Castillo recently outlined his club’s current situation, and this match, when he said, “This league break helped us to work more. The morale of the squad is good.”

Addressing this current match, he said, “Games like the one awaiting us on Sunday give you particular sensations. It's always exciting playing in a stadium like the one in Milan.

“We shall face an important game and the motivations in this encounter are a lot; I think and hope that we will be able to do well.

“In my opinion Milan are a team who should be attacked, even though we shall have to be careful with their ball possession.”

FORM GUIDE

Milan

26/02 (UEFA Cup): Milan 2-2 Werder Bremen

01/03 (Serie A): Sampdoria 2-1 Milan

08/03 (Serie A): Milan 3-0 Atalanta

15/03 (Serie A): Siena 1-5 Milan

22/03 (Serie A): Napoli 0-0 Milan

Lecce

22/02 (Serie A): Lecce 0-2 Lazio

01/03 (Serie A): Udinese 2-0 Lecce

08/03 (Serie A): Lecce 0-0 Reggina

15/03 (Serie A): Palermo 5-2 Lecce

22/03 (Serie A): Lecce 2-2 Atalanta

TEAM NEWS

Milan

Alessandro Nesta, Kakha Kaladze and Gennaro Gattuso are out for the season, and Marco Borriello is doubtful to play the rest of the way, though he maintains that he will be able to play in May. Kaka is doubtful. Daniele Bonera is not entirely fit and could miss out as well. Goalkeeper Christian Abbiati is out for the rest of the season, having recently undergone knee ligament surgery.

Massimo Ambrosini returns from suspension, while Marek Jankulovski faces a one-match suspension if he is cautioned.

Possible Formation (4-3-1-2): Dida; Zambrotta, Favalli, Maldini, Jankulovski; Beckham, Pirlo, Ambrosini; Seedorf; Pato, Inzaghi

Lecce

Young Italian striker Daniele Cacia is the only player sure to miss out through injury.

However, Lecce’s situation could be made much worse for the next match, as they have eight players sitting one yellow card from a suspension. They are Papa Waigo, Fabiano, Raffaele Schiavi, Tiziano Polenghi, Alberto Giuliatto, Gianni Munari, Guillermo Giacomazzi and starting goalkeeper Francesco Benussi.

Possible Formation (4-4-1-1): Benussi; Polenghi, Stendardo, Fabiano, Esposito; Angelo, Zanchetta, Edinho, Antunes; Caserta, Tiribocchi

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Milan

It will be interesting to see how Alexandre Pato and Filippo Inzaghi mesh, as they have played well recently but don’t necessarily complement each other’s play. With nine matches remaining in the season, they will have about two months to develop something to keep the club from buying a top striker in the summer.

Lecce

Number ten Fabio Caserta will pull the strings behind lone striker Simone Tiribocchi. Striker Jose Castillo spoke this week about his side needing to attack Milan, so if he gets a chance to come off the bench he had better back up his words with good play.

PREDICTION

Lecce are ice cold at the moment, and will be lucky to get anything from this match. If they do indeed come out with the mindset to attack, however, they could push Milan back a bit. Still, Milan should win this match comfortably.

Milan 2-0 Lecce
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Serie A Preview: Milan - Lecce Empty Re: Serie A Preview: Milan - Lecce

Post by Mahdiano Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:00 am

i dunno if a surprise can be around but this one should look easy 4 milan
    Zein
    Zein

Post by Zein Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:49 pm

Mahdiano wrote:i dunno if a surprise can be around but this one should look easy 4 milan
    Yeah everything is going so good for us as Kaka may start also I was pleased to see Shevchenko scoring against England Very Happy
    Zein
    Zein

Post by Zein Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:21 pm

A sensational victory !!! It made me remember our match against them in 2005/2006 when Inzaghi scored the winning goal for us Very Happy.
    Lecce put up a great fight but two lapses cost them at the death.
    George Best.
    George Best.

Post by George Best. Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:53 am

Ronaldinho played a great match, beautiful back-heel to play Shevchenko in the second goal.
    How is it a sensational win? you won in extra time. Is that what Milan fans consider as a 'sensational win'? Laughing
    Zein
    Zein

Post by Zein Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:53 pm

Well I think we fully deserved our win,look how much we created chances to score !!.
    We were also playing in a good shape.Btw u seemed happy when you win last night in stoppage time against Aston Villa.
    Anw ways A vital win for us.Genoa still 4 points away from us.

Last edited by Zein on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    George Best.
    George Best.

Post by George Best. Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Zein wrote:Well I think we fully deserved our win,look how much we created chances to score !!.
    We were also playing in a good shape.Btw u seemed happy when you win last night in stoppage time against Aston Villa.
    Anw ways A vital win for us.Genoa still 4 points away from us.

Yeah, I was having multiple orgasms haha.
    Shiko
    Shiko

Post by Shiko Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:01 pm

FORZA IL GAUCHO
    ronaldinho played a great game iam very happy for him
    why he is on the bench in the last matches?
    even when he is not 100% fit he makes the difference
    (world's most talented player)
    Zein
    Zein

Post by Zein Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Shiko wrote:FORZA IL GAUCHO
    Ronaldinho didn't play because he was injured for nearly a month.
    Also It was said that he had some fitness problems.
    I agree he makes difference but u know I would prefer a fully fit average player to a talented player who is severly lacking match fitness.
    Shiko
    Shiko

Post by Shiko Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:06 pm

Zein wrote:
    Shiko wrote:FORZA IL GAUCHO
    Ronaldinho didn't play because he was injured for nearly a month.
    Also It was said that he had some fitness problems.
    I agree he makes difference but u know I would prefer a fully fit average player to a talented player who is severly lacking match fitness.
    i would prefer RONALDINHO king
    shinnawy
    shinnawy

Post by shinnawy Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:08 pm

SENDROES!!!!!i laughed so much when he scored
    Zein
    Zein

Post by Zein Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:21 pm

shinnawy wrote:SENDROES!!!!!i laughed so much when he scored
    LOL yeah but the ball touched Ronaldinho's head.
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:58 am

George Best. wrote:Ronaldinho played a great match, beautiful back-heel to play Shevchenko in the second goal.
    How is it a sensational win? you won in extra time. Is that what Milan fans consider as a 'sensational win'? Laughing

talkin like man utd beat aston villa scoring in the 1st minute

100% sure u didnt watch the game if u think Dinho played well
    the pass 2 Sheva was the only positive thing he did all match as he was spending more time layin on the ground more than on his feet
    Zein
    Zein

Post by Zein Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Yeah Mahdiano is right Ronaldinho didn't have the best of his games.
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:12 pm

Zein wrote:Yeah Mahdiano is right Ronaldinho didn't have the best of his games.

i'd respect u for ur honesty

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:53 pm