Football Ultras

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football Ultras is a forum to discuss anything related to Football.

4 posters

Champions League Preview: Liverpool – Chelsea

El Loddz
    El Loddz

Champions League Preview: Liverpool – Chelsea Empty Champions League Preview: Liverpool – Chelsea

Post by El Loddz Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:58 pm

The quarter-finals are upon us, and with them comes another edition of what is fast becoming one of the fiercest rivalries in European football...

Stop Playin' Those Mind Games

Who would have guessed that Liverpool would draw Chelsea in the last eight of the Champions League? Only those who didn't expect them to meet up in the semi-finals for the fourth time in five years, is probably the answer.

These days, the Reds seem to have a permanent reservation in the competition up until the final four, a stage they have failed to reach just once since Rafael Benitez took the reins back in 2004. People just expect them to be there at the business end, regardless of how poor their domestic form might be. Whereas at the start of decade they had fallen away from the elite ranks, they are now the quintessential CL team - they showed that when they knocked out Real Madrid 5-0 on aggregate in the previous round.

But this year it's different. For the first time in many a moon, the Merseysiders come into a European knockout encounter with Premier League ambitions still intact. In past seasons the continent was their sole focus by this time of the season but now they sit just one point behind Manchester United as they chase their first English title since 1990.

Whether that will have any effect remains to be seen. In any case, Benitez has messed with his usual pre-match routine ahead of this particular clash. In an attempt to avoid the annual word-war that used to break out between he and Jose Mourinho, the Spaniard has called for a ceasefire as Guus Hiddink's men prepare to march on Fortress Anfield - not that he was expecting any trouble from the Dutchman.

"Some managers want to play too many mind games. With Hiddink, it will just be about football," he said earlier this week.

So the media will be left to drum up some feud or frenzy of their own invention as Liverpool, fresh from a last-gasp win over Fulham, ready themselves for yet another date with the Blues - although this time they are the ones aiming to atone for the previous season's disappointment.

Golden Guus

The Reds well and truly had the wood over Chelsea heading into last year's semi-final clash, but it proved third time lucky for the Pensioners as they grabbed a 4-3 aggregate win - in extra time - to end their winless run against ‘Rafa's’ mob in Europe. Only John Terry's faulty studs and Edwin van der Sar's magic gloves kept them away from a first Champions League title, as Manchester United emerged victorious after a penalty shootout.

That defeat in Moscow spelt the end of Avram Grant's brief (yet, on balance, fairly impressive) tenure. However, the Israeli's successor, the decorated Luiz Felipe Scolari, lasted no longer in hot-seat; a run of poor results saw Roman Abramovich wield his axe once more in February.

And so in came Hiddink, who agreed to split his duties with the Russian national team so as to try and restore some sort of order at Stamford Bridge. And the Dutchman has delivered, boosting the Blues back into the title race, through to the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and past Juventus in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Now 'Tsar Guus' faces his biggest test yet. Not only does he come up against a team widely regarded as the masters of knockout football, and one who boast a historical advantage over his outfit, he must conquer a side that have done the double over Chelsea this season in domestic action - the very side that ended Stamford Bridge's 86-game streak of impregnability.

But, in many ways, it is a situation tailor-made for Hiddink, and one in which he has thrived at international level. He will leave the club at the season's end (or so he keeps saying, anyway), meaning his accomplishments in these few months will reflect the entirety of his Chelsea legacy. No rebuilding phase, no grace period - just results.

And so, walking tall after a hard-fought win over Alan Shearer's Newcastle United at the weekend, Chelsea will head to the north west confident of repeating (or bettering) last year's exploits and keeping alive their hopes of clinching an unlikely treble - although they haven't won an away match in the CL since beating Rosenborg on November 28, 2007.

FORM GUIDE

Liverpool

April 04 Fulham 0-1 Liverpool (Premier League)
    March 22 Liverpool 5-0 Aston Villa (Premier League)
    March 14 Manchester United 1-4 Liverpool (Premier League)
    March 10 Liverpool 4-0 Real Madrid (Champions League)
    March 03 Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland (Premier League)

Chelsea

April 04 Newcastle United 0-2 Chelsea (Premier League)
    March 21 Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Chelsea (Premier League)
    March 15 Chelsea 1-0 Manchester City (Premier League)
    March 10 Juventus 2-2 Chelsea (Champions League)
    March 07 Coventry City 0-2 Chelsea (FA Cup)

TEAM NEWS

Liverpool

Javier Mascherano is suspended, meaning Lucas Leiva will almost certainly start in midfield. Albert Riera, meanwhile, is available once more after serving a one-match ban, although he now faces competition for his spot from a revitalised Andrea Dossena, who, along with Alvaro Arbeloa, is one caution away from a suspension himself.

Daniel Agger has recovered from a back injury and played 180 minutes for Denmark last week, meaning he could make his first start for the Reds since February. Yossi Benayoun is also fit again, as he proved when he came off the bench at Fulham to blast home a late winner. Sami Hyypia is still carrying a knee knock.

Fabio Aurelio sat out the win at Craven Cottage but should line up at left-back.

Probable XI: Reina - Arbeloa, Skrtel, Carragher, Aurelio - Alonso, Lucas - Kuyt, Gerrard, Riera - Torres

Chelsea

Didier Drogba is fighting a race against time as he seeks to shake off an ankle injury - a battle he is reportedly losing. Jose Bosingwa is also a doubt, having missed the win at Newcastle after sustaining a gash to his leg and a hamstring strain while on duty with Portugal.

Bosingwa's compatriot Ricardo Carvalho also returned from the international break worse for wear, but he is expected to reclaim his place in defence for the trip to Anfield.

Joe Cole and Paulo Ferreira are out of action with season-ending knee injuries, while Nicolas Anelka, Ashley Cole and John Terry are all one ban away from a booking.

Probable XI: Cech - Alex, Terry, Carvalho, A Cole - Mikel, Essien, Lampard - Malouda, Anelka, Kalou

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Liverpool

Fernando Torres likes scoring against the Blues; he has netted against them four times in as many games and should cause John Terry and his rearguard all manner of problems. Steven Gerrard rarely misfires on a European night while the in-form Xabi Alonso should enjoy a fascinating tussle with Chelsea's muscular midfield.

Chelsea

Since returning from a long-term knee injury, Michael Essien has slotted back into the first team almost seamlessly. He is Chelsea's engine. Going forward, they will look to Frank Lampard and Nicolas Anelka to do the damage.

PREDICTION

Chelsea won't win - you simply don't when you travel to Anfield for a Champions League tie. They have the ability to score, certainly, but then few teams have been better at finding the net than Liverpool of late. Drogba's potential absence could be crucial, given the way these encounters tend to suit the Ivorian's style. A narrow win for 'Pool, then, is this punter's bet.

Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea

El Loddz
    El Loddz

Champions League Preview: Liverpool – Chelsea Empty Re: Champions League Preview: Liverpool – Chelsea

Post by El Loddz Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:00 pm

A MASSIVE GAME INDEED !!
    i think judging by recent performances liverpool has the advantage.
    i also believe chelsea wont score any goals at anfield, cause thats benitez`s strategy. and my prediction would be 2-0 for the REDS
    Tauro-8-
    Tauro-8-

Champions League Preview: Liverpool – Chelsea Empty Re: Champions League Preview: Liverpool – Chelsea

Post by Tauro-8- Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:46 pm

I guess that Torres will definitly score,he's a master when it comes to Chelsea,and as always STEVIE G is a Champions League Master,and lets not forget Kuyt and the element of surprise Babel
    shinnawy
    shinnawy

Post by shinnawy Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:47 pm

2-1 for me chelsea will score a late goal which will give them advantage when they go to the bridge....only a prediction
    Abouzeid
    Abouzeid

Post by Abouzeid Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:39 pm

CHELSEA ALL THE WAY! Liverpool's luck narrowed the score down to 3 - 1 instead of 7 - 1. While they beat us in the Premier League we whipped their asses off the pitch in the CL.

CFC
    Abouzeid
    Abouzeid

Post by Abouzeid Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Hahahahahaha, El Loddz 2 - 0 for the what? the Reds? hahahaha.
    Abouzeid
    Abouzeid

Post by Abouzeid Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:47 pm

El Loddz wrote:A MASSIVE GAME INDEED !!
    i think judging by recent performances liverpool has the advantage.
    i also believe chelsea wont score any goals at anfield, cause thats benitez`s strategy. and my prediction would be 2-0 for the REDS

haha.
    El Loddz
    El Loddz

Post by El Loddz Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:58 pm

LOOK FIRST OF ALL.. congratz- u deserved it.
    I AM am not making any excuses but the 3rd goal was an offside.
    IT IS NOT OVER TILL THE FAT LADY SINGS. AND DO U HEAR A FUCKING FAT LADY SINGING ???!!
    WE PLAYED LIKE SHIT 2DAY ( 1 OF THE FACTORS WAS GERRARD ) BUT I BELIEVE IN HIM SO I KNOW HE WILL MAKE IT UP IN THE SECOND LEG AND BTW WE CAN SCORE 3 FUCKING GOALS CAUSE EL NINO WILL ALWAYS BE THERE AND THIS TIME U WONT HAVE TERRY. AND MASCHERANO WILL BE BACK SO FUCKING LUCAS WONT PLAY !!

anyway, we will just have to wait and see what happens !!
    Tauro-8-
    Tauro-8-

Post by Tauro-8- Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:43 am

El Loddz wrote:LOOK FIRST OF ALL.. congratz- u deserved it.
    IT IS NOT OVER TILL THE FAT LADY SINGS. AND DO U HEAR A FUCKING FAT LADY SINGING ???!!
    WE PLAYED LIKE SHIT 2DAY ( 1 OF THE FACTORS WAS GERRARD ) BUT I BELIEVE IN HIM SO I KNOW HE WILL MAKE IT UP IN THE SECOND LEG AND BTW WE CAN SCORE 3 FUCKING GOALS CAUSE EL NINO WILL ALWAYS BE THERE AND THIS TIME U WONT HAVE TERRY. AND MASCHERANO WILL BE BACK SO FUCKING LUCAS WONT PLAY !!

Well said man,no one said it will be easy but it can be done.
    Abouzeid
    Abouzeid

Post by Abouzeid Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:39 am

El Loddz wrote:LOOK FIRST OF ALL.. congratz- u deserved it.

It was quite bold in the match that Liverpool is one man team. Once Gerrard had a hard time getting through Chelsea's defense, the whole team was negatively impacted.
    El Loddz
    El Loddz

Post by El Loddz Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:59 pm

i agree that he had an impact on the poor reds performance but u cant they were a one man team cause we did get through many tough teams without him !! ex. man utd 2-1
    Abouzeid
    Abouzeid

Post by Abouzeid Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:42 pm

Sorry for saying this, but without Gerrard, Liverpool's performance on the pitch simulate Aston Villa's.
    El Loddz
    El Loddz

Post by El Loddz Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:45 pm

i think we cant accomplish something so difficult without him. but in general without him, yes were a lot worse, but we still can cope.
    Tauro-8-
    Tauro-8-

Post by Tauro-8- Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:29 am

don't forget guys that the 1-0 victory in Spain over Real was Gerrardless he went in the 89th minute or sth and had absolutely no imact on the game but we eon,we can play without Gerrard,but not in the same form we're not a one player team but any team is affected without one of his stars.
    shinnawy
    shinnawy

Post by shinnawy Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:22 pm

i think its over with barca's game also....everythn is possible
    but what makes it hard is that chelsea will not be so much attackn because of the comfortable result at anfield
    Tauro-8-
    Tauro-8-

Post by Tauro-8- Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:09 pm

I'm really proud of Liverpool although we lost it was a gr8 game,altough it was Gerrardless we were great and so were Chelsea,you deserve it Blues,congrats Crying or Very sad
    Abouzeid
    Abouzeid

Post by Abouzeid Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Thanks, it is a match to remember. And I take back what I said about Liverpool being a one man team. One thing I clearly noticed, is Torres' subtle performance because of Gerrard's absence.
    Tauro-8-
    Tauro-8-

Post by Tauro-8- Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:30 pm

Abouzeid wrote:Thanks, it is a match to remember. And I take back what I said about Liverpool being a one man team. One thing I clearly noticed, is Torres' subtle performance because of Gerrard's absence.
    I'm glad you finally noticed we are not a one time man,come on now that you've beat us fair and square make us proud,go all the way
    Abouzeid
    Abouzeid

Post by Abouzeid Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:46 pm

huh "one time"?

I am expecting a comment on what I mentioned about Torres' perfomance.
    Tauro-8-
    Tauro-8-

Post by Tauro-8- Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:03 pm

I meant team not time

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:48 pm