Football Ultras

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football Ultras is a forum to discuss anything related to Football.

Frustrated Guardiola Calls For Press To Respect His Players And Especially Eto'o

Shiko
    Shiko

Frustrated Guardiola Calls For Press To Respect His Players And Especially Eto'o Empty Frustrated Guardiola Calls For Press To Respect His Players And Especially Eto'o

Post by Shiko Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:51 pm

The coach does not understand all the rumours about players leaving or joining Barcelona...

Pep Guardiola has called for the press to show more respect to his Barcelona side regarding transfer rumours and to avoid talking about the will he, won't he intentions of Samuel Eto'o in particular.

The Cameroonian international has been reported to be leaving the Camp Nou this summer and various other players have been put forward to replace him.

Speaking to Marca, Guardiola said that the striker should not be treated this way, demanding "respect for Eto'o, a player who has given so much for Barcelona and of who only has possible replacements."

"He does not deserve this, his future will be decided when it is. There are players here who are doing a lot to try and stay here. The day that we sign someone,, you can publish it, but not now," he said.

"You do not know how the negotiations work and this is where they mess it up. You do not know what players have been contacted nor what decisions are been made. Out of respect to players who have been here six months or fifteen years, do not speak about it."

Guardiola went on to say that he would understand the rumours more if his team were playing badly, but that is clearly not the case.

"I can understand the rumours when a team is playing badly, but the way we are playing, I do not understand it," he mused.

"During the week I have heard that we will have a new front three next year and that we have already signed [Franck] Ribery."

The coach also spoke about his decision to not allow Rafael Marquez to go and play with Mexico, as the defender is suspended.

"If he is suspended, why does he have to go?" he began.

"It is my decision; it is better that he stays here and rests. It would not make sense for him to make the trip and not to play."

Barcelona entertain Malaga on Sunday evening.

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:16 am