Football Ultras

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football Ultras is a forum to discuss anything related to Football.

3 posters

Premier League Preview: Tottenham Hotspur - Chelsea

El Loddz
    El Loddz

Premier League Preview: Tottenham Hotspur - Chelsea Empty Premier League Preview: Tottenham Hotspur - Chelsea

Post by El Loddz Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:03 pm

Spurs could be chasing Europe with a win in this London derby, whilst Chelsea must continue to put pressure on Manchester United...

Spurs To Save Season

What a difference five games has made to Tottenham Hotspur’s season. Since recording a goalless draw against bitter rivals Arsenal, the north Londoners have gone on an unbeaten run in the Premier League that has seen a vast improvement on their top-flight standings. After facing the Gunners, Spurs were 16th in the table and only two points clear of the relegation zone, but since then wins against Hull City, Middlesbrough and Aston Villa and a draw with Sunderland have meant a climb to 11th position.

The latest win at Villa Park is perhaps one of the Lilywhites’ biggest accomplishments of the season to date and could afford them to maybe start looking up the table rather than over their shoulders. Harry Redknapp’s side are by no means safe just yet, but at the same time are only five points behind West Ham United in seventh, meaning that UEFA Cup – or Europa League as it will be known next season – qualification through league positioning could still be a surprise possibility.

It was the Spurs defence that received a great deal of Redknapp’s praise after the victory over Villa, with the former Portsmouth manager claiming that his central defensive pairing of Jonathan Woodgate and Ledley King is amongst the best partnerships in the Premier League. If Tottenham are to overcome Chelsea in this London derby they will need the back four – particularly Woodgate and King – to be at the top of their game.

Chelsea Charge Forward

All the talk after Manchester United’s shock annihilation at the hands of Liverpool at Old Trafford was centred around the Merseyside club re-entering themselves into the title race. What many fans and pundits alike almost seemed to ignore however was that it was in fact Chelsea who finished last weekend in second place, with a superior goal difference to Liverpool after a win against Manchester City, thanks to a solitary Michael Essien goal.

Chelsea are very much back in the hunt for the Premier League crown since the arrival of Guus Hiddink as manager and it is no coincidence that a change of fortunes has been enjoyed. The Dutchman has the Blues playing formidable football again and has made some key changes since his introduction. The reinstatement to the first 11 of Didier Drogba for example, often unwanted by the previous regime, has seen a dividend paid in goals and the return of Essien has also made an immediate impact, with crucial strikes against both City and Juventus in the Champions League.

Chelsea fans make the short trip to White Hart Lane on Saturday with largely fond memories of meetings with Tottenham; Spurs have managed to topple their West London rivals only once in 37 league meetings, earning their home the dubious moniker of ‘Three Point Lane’. Chelsea and Tottenham may have different interests this season and closer geographical derbies, but rivalries don’t come much fiercer than this.

FORM GUIDE

Tottenham

Aston Villa 1 – 2 Tottenham (Prem)
    Sunderland 1 – 1 Tottenham (Prem)
    Tottenham 4 – 0 Middlesbrough (Prem)
    Man Utd 0 – 0 Tottenham AET (Lge Cup Final – Man Utd win on penalties)
    Tottenham 1 – 1 Shakhtar Donetsk (UEFA Cup)

Chelsea

Chelsea 1 – 0 Man City (Prem)
    Juventus 2 – 2 Chelsea (Champs League)
    Coventry 0 – 2 Chelsea (FA Cup)
    Portsmouth 0 – 1 Chelsea (Prem)
    Chelsea 2 – 1 Wigan (Prem)

TEAM NEWS

Tottenham

Ledey King has been struggling all season with a knee problem, but with no midweek games left, the former captain could be set to make his third consecutive start. Alan Hutton is back in full training this week and could feature in the squad, while Jermain Defoe continues to miss out through injury. Vedran Corluka may return to the starting line-up after being replaced for the meeting with Aston Villa by Didier Zokora.

Possible Starting XI: Gomes; Corluka, King, Woodgate, Assou-Ekotto; Lennon, Palacios, Jenas, Modric; Keane, Bent.

Chelsea

Deco’s recurring hamstring complaint could keep him out of the visit to White Hart Lane, though the injury is not believed to be as bad as first thought. Didier Drogba was said to be struggling to be available for the game, but reports suggest the Ivorian will be able to take part in the game.

Possible Starting XI: Cech; Bosingwa, Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole; Essien, Lampard, Ballack, Kalou; Anelka, Drogba

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Tottenham

Several Spurs players appear to have taken their game to the next level over the past month, arguably none more than Aaron Lennon. The England Under-21 International has caused havoc on the right wing and played a part in creating a number of opportunities, as well as finding the net a few times himself. Lennon faces a tough challenge in coming up against Ashley Cole, which should make for entertaining viewing.

Chelsea

For Chelsea, the return of Michael Essien could not have come at a better time and with the all-action midfielder in the side, the possibility of Robbie Keane or Luka Modric creating chances on goal for Spurs could be few and far between. Essien is a goal threat at the other end of the pitch as well as he has proved in recent weeks. The Ghanaian’s inclusion could be pivotal to Chelsea’s season.

PREDICTION

Spurs will take some solace from the fact that they were undefeated against Chelsea last season, including a victory in the League Cup final and a thrilling 4-4 draw at White Hart Lane, but we can only hope for a repeat result this term as Chelsea continue their late charge for Premier League glory. Tottenham are in fine form, but Chelsea are enjoying even more success.

Tottenham Hotspur 0 – 2 Chelsea
    El Loddz
    El Loddz

Premier League Preview: Tottenham Hotspur - Chelsea Empty Re: Premier League Preview: Tottenham Hotspur - Chelsea

Post by El Loddz Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:06 pm

classic london derby... very tough game for both teams.. i predict a draw in this match maybe 2-2
    shinnawy
    shinnawy

Premier League Preview: Tottenham Hotspur - Chelsea Empty Re: Premier League Preview: Tottenham Hotspur - Chelsea

Post by shinnawy Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:26 pm

to be an entertaining close game but chlesea to win with Hiddink and the Legendary ESSIEN......drogba has been getting back on track,lampard has been gr8 all the season and ofcourse Anelka.
    spurs face their GK problem goes has been a failure and cudicini failed to impress...lennon is in a gr8 form along with modric, bentley is not like last year but still can make the difference. keane is getting his form back after 4 month of failure with the scousers.
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:11 pm

i'd like 2 see Chelsea win this one
    with all respect 2 Liverpool fans but if we r 2 expect a hot race for the EPL then Chelsea must keep the pressure on UTD , they have a longer breath than The Reds
    El Loddz
    El Loddz

Post by El Loddz Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:24 pm

well, tecnically mahdy u are correct but right now its all up to 9 games so it doesnt really matter cause the 3 teams will give it 110%. but i think it will be extremely difficult for chelsea to win this match.
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:29 pm

El Loddz wrote:well, tecnically mahdy u are correct but right now its all up to 9 games so it doesnt really matter cause the 3 teams will give it 110%. but i think it will be extremely difficult for chelsea to win this match.

every game in the last 9 is difficult , i didnt ever mention it will be an easy game neither did i say Chelsea will win for sure but i said for the good of the EPL that Chelsea win so the title race will get heated
    El Loddz
    El Loddz

Post by El Loddz Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:40 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MODRICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC ITS MY LUCKY DAY !!!!

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA I LOVE MURPHY AND MODRIC
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:41 pm

El Loddz wrote:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MODRICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC ITS MY LUCKY DAY !!!!

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA I LOVE MURPHY AND MODRIC

u wont be loving Agbonlahor 2morrow , will u ??? Very Happy Very Happy
    El Loddz
    El Loddz

Post by El Loddz Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:50 pm

NICE ONE, BUT YOU FORGOT THAT WE HAVE THE BEST FORWARD IN THE WORLD "EL NINO" WHO WILL SCORE TWICE !!
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:59 pm

Quaresma is in , hope he can make any difference

he has been so unlucky , Mou didnt give him a fair chance and when Scolari offered him a chance he moved to have Scolari sacked a couple of weeks after his arrival @ stamford Bridge and now Hiddink isnt a big fan of Ricky's
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:25 pm

down goes Chelsea against Tottenham in a very entertaining London Derby
    it's The Reds chance now but so far it hasnt been a good week for the big 4 either Man utd who lost 2 Fulham or Chelsea who lost 2 Tottenham
    so 2morrow we'll see wether Liverpool will follow the lead of Man utd n Chelsea or they will break the rule n get closer to the top
    shinnawy
    shinnawy

Post by shinnawy Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:46 pm

this reliefed my sadness after our loss today and tommorow will be the total relief when the villans crush liverpool

cant wait to see ashley young taking on ard-el-loa Very Happy
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:50 pm

shinnawy wrote:this reliefed my sadness after our loss today and tommorow will be the total relief when the villans crush liverpool

cant wait to see ashley young taking on ard-el-loa Very Happy

will ard-el-loa still play ???
    aint Dossena their superstar ryt now n key player
    i heared that there r rumors sayin that Gerrard will hand Dossena the captain arm band
    shinnawy
    shinnawy

Post by shinnawy Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:53 pm

yup i think so....a playerwho rarely played and bam he scores against united and real madrid.
    he deserves the armband who the hell is gerrard
    El Loddz
    El Loddz

Post by El Loddz Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:57 pm

hahahahaha you guys are very funny hahahahaha i cant stop laughing hahahaha555555555.
    shinnawy..u really think aston villa will crush the team that destroyed u ??!!
    and u guys will see young 2morow, benitez will stop him just like he stoppes ronaldo and robben.
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:02 am

5aled there r no rules in football
    anythig can happen 2morrow , yes maybe u managed 2 stop Robben n Ronaldo but maybe Young can achieve what these 2 didnt
    plus Liverpool as i said b4 r known for droppin points against small teams n performin better in big games so as i said there r no rules.
    Fulham managed to beat Man utd while Inter couldnt , does this mean that Fulham is a better team than Inter ???
    El Loddz
    El Loddz

Post by El Loddz Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:08 am

THATS NOT WHAT I SAID..ALL THE THINGS I SAID FROM BEFORE WERE MY PREDICTIONS NOT FACTS.
    BUT I JUST CANT IMAGINE LIVERPOOL LOOSING 2MORROW AND THATS WHY IM SO CONFIDENT.
    shinnawy
    shinnawy

Post by shinnawy Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:12 am

dnt be so confident......it always leads to disasters
    El Loddz
    El Loddz

Post by El Loddz Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:15 am

shinnawy wrote:dnt be so confident......it always leads to disasters

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE..I GUESS U LEARNED THAT THE HARD WAY..
    shinnawy
    shinnawy

Post by shinnawy Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:17 am

yeah the hardest way lol!
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:34 pm

El Loddz wrote:THATS NOT WHAT I SAID..ALL THE THINGS I SAID FROM BEFORE WERE MY PREDICTIONS NOT FACTS.
    BUT I JUST CANT IMAGINE LIVERPOOL LOOSING 2MORROW AND THATS WHY IM SO CONFIDENT.

well u can do that when we start a predictions league , u will be so good in that
    as for the matches discussion ur predictions wont be so useful
    shinnawy
    shinnawy

Post by shinnawy Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:15 pm

gr8 idea i was thinking of having a prediction league, but its too late in the season..
    maybe we cant take the remaining weeks as an expirement for next season and who will be responsible...
    Mahdiano
    Mahdiano
    Admin

Post by Mahdiano Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:46 pm

shinnawy wrote:gr8 idea i was thinking of having a prediction league, but its too late in the season..
    maybe we cant take the remaining weeks as an expirement for next season and who will be responsible...

yes but it's a long way for next season so i think if we can figure out something b4 next week or even durin the International break we will have like 8 or 9 weeks in the european leagues n i think it will be good enough
    El Loddz
    El Loddz

Post by El Loddz Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:57 pm

I AGREE WITH MAHDIANO, WE COULD START IN THE REMAINING WEEKS OF THE LEAGUES THEN COMPLETE WITH THE INTERNATIONAL TEAMS AND IN ( KA2S EL KARAAT )..lol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:11 pm