Football Ultras

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football Ultras is a forum to discuss anything related to Football.

2 posters

The goalscoring keeper

saftawy
    saftawy

The goalscoring keeper Empty The goalscoring keeper

Post by saftawy Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:05 pm

The goalscoring keeper
    Butt: It's about taking responsibility

Referee Schumacher blew for a penalty, prompting Daniel Sikorski, Mehmet Ekici and Christian Saba into a tussle for the ball. Which of the Bayern reserves should take the spot kick? But the crowd was chanting "ButtButtButtButt“, coach Hermann Gerland signalled his approval – and Hans-Jörg Butt accepted the responsibility.

"It was only 2-0 and not over by a long way, so I wanted Jörg to take the penalty. I was sure he'd score,“ Gerland reported after Butt stepped up and buried the award. The 34-year-old opted for a well-placed angled drive, making the score 3-0 and effectively sealing Bayern II's third division victory over VfR Aalen.

Goalkeeper Butt now has close on 30 goals to his name in the pro game. However, it has never been a case of scoring for its own sake. "It's to do with shouldering responsibility,“ he explained to fcbayern.de, revealing how he first ever came to be regarded as a regular penalty taker.

Interview: Hans Jörg Butt:

fcbayern.de: Jörg, you've made history with your penalty against Aalen. You're the first keeper to score in the Champions League, the Bundesliga and the third division.
    Hans Jörg Butt: "The second division too, actually. Before I played for Hamburg, I was with Oldenburg in division 2, which is where it all started.“

fcbayern.de: Why did Hans Jörg Butt start taking penalties?
    Butt: "It was never because I desperately wanted to score or put myself in the spotlight. It's to do with shouldering responsibility. I started taking penalties in training with Oldenburg, to get a sense of what the taker's feeling when he faces the keeper. We were then awarded a penalty in a match, someone had missed the previous week – and a bunch of the players called me forward.“

fcbayern.de: In your second season with Hamburg, you converted no fewer than seven penalties. You became one of the most popular players in fantasy football, because keepers earned six points for scoring, but strikers only three.
    Butt: "Being recognised for my goalkeeping is what matters. That's been overshadowed by the penalties sometimes, so I don't like people making a big thing out of it. I didn't put myself forward against Aalen, it was Hermann Gerland who wanted me to shoot. So I took the responsibility.“

fcbayern.de: Indeed, Hermann Gerland did explicitly praise your performance in goal afterwards. Are you glad to get a couple of games under your belt, even if it's only for the reserves?
    Butt: "Obviously, it's important to play real matches. It was fantastic to make my competitive debut for Bayern against Sporting in the Champions League. I've now played five times in two weeks, which is important for me – also because it shows the bosses I can be relied on when I'm needed.“

fcbayern.de: Thomas Kraft will be back in goal for the reserves soon. Will it be difficult going back to the first-team bench?
    Butt: "That's how it is, and that was clear enough when I chose to come to Bayern. But obviously, I'm here to play as often as I can, and I prepare myself for that in training every single day."

i m not the type of people who just copy paste random news but this is really intresting Smile
    shinnawy
    shinnawy

The goalscoring keeper Empty Re: The goalscoring keeper

Post by shinnawy Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:59 pm

fenak ya mazen ur fav. player...luft hans butt Very Happy

Current date/time is Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:28 pm